View Single Post
Old
09-28-2011, 01:24 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Depending upon the players involved, the Flyers would probably be looking at getting back either a 1st rnd pick in 2012, a top end defensive prospect (Blum/Ellis), or an upgrade on their current defense (Suter/Weber).

A lot would be predicated upon whether or not the Preds will and/or believe they can resign Suter and Weber. If the Preds do believe they will be resigning both then one of Blum or Ellis could be made available in a trade to aquire a top 6 forward.

If the Preds don't plan on keeping both Suter and Weber or believe that they CAN'T keep both and their plan is to have Blum replace one then a deal for one with the Flyers could work IMO. Suter for Carle/Coburn + Simmonds/Voracek or Weber for Carle/Coburn + Couturier + 2nd is probably a fair deal for both teams.

While I personally don't think it's a wise decision for the Flyers to be trading away any more of their young players/prospects after just restocking them it's probably a fair deal and one they'd consider. Remember, the Flyers have traded away five 1st (or players drafted in the 1st rnd before they even played half a year as a pro), 2nd and 3rd rnd picks in the last 3 years. A better option for us might be to say trade Hartnell for a 2012 1st and then, if the Preds don't want to resign both, trade that 1st back to the Preds for the rights to either Suter or Weber at the end of the playoffs (similar to what we did with the Forsberg trade when we returned the 1st for the rights to Timonen and Hartnell). If the Preds keep both dmen then the Flyers get another 1st in a very good and deep draft in which to continue restocking their depleted prospect pool.
Good thought put into this post. My only issue is if we are trading one of Weber or Suter I'd rather see a forward (preferably a winger) as the centerpiece rather than a downgrade (compared to Weber/Suter) on the blueline being the centerpiece. I'm not sure the Preds and the Flyers make good partners when it comes to trading one of Weber or Suter. Otherwise, the two teams have a good history, and a deal could be reached.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote