View Single Post
Old
09-28-2011, 04:14 PM
OldSchoolCaps84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
As far as the NHL roster portion of the rule, the 40/80, games on the roster in the playoffs count.

Note, this minor league vet player rule is specific to re-entry waivers and a key component of the rule is it only becomes a factor for players making more than $105,000 at the AHL level. So for McNeill this is not an issue as he hasn't spent anywhere near that amount of time on the NHL roster, but also, McNeill's minor league salary is $105,000 (per capgeek), so re-entry waivers aren't an issue.

Sorry, I might have seen this faster if it was in the salary/cap/contract thread.

I try to run the calculations each year for the players where this might be a factor. Way OT, but a year ago I was wondering if Bourque had spent 40 days on an NHL roster between the Caps and Pens, but my count only hit the 30s so that wasn't a factor in his decision-making a year ago. As to this season, Bourque meets the rule requirements as he has played the 320 and doesn't meet the 40/80 by my count and makes more than $105,000 so he is exempt from re-entry waivers.

Some other players making over $105,000 in the AHL and under NHL contract who are minor league vets and are exempt from re-entry waivers: Aucoin and Richmond (plus Bourque). I never did the games on the roster math for Potulny because he makes $105,000 this season, but he spent a lot of time in '09-10 with Edmonton and has over 70 NHL games played over the 2 seasons. Given the 105,000, there's a chance he had hit the 80 games on an NHL roster and that could explain why his AHL salary is at the 'max' re. this rule compared to others of his type....note, he has a one way contract for the second season of his Caps contract.

Collins is an example of a player who hasn't played in 320 regular season games so he has an $105,000 AHL salary to avoid re-entry waivers (an issue for him last year when he was on a one way NHL contract and by definition made more than $105,000 at the AHL level.)
Sk8- you read my mind as to why I was asking. I was doing some research about who in the system is eligible for re-entry waivers and the only one I could identify was Jay Beagle. Beagle is on a one-way contract and requires normal waivers to be sent down which makes him eligible for re-entry waivers. He would qualify as a VMLP since he has played 320 pro games except that he was on the roster for 52 games last season (by my count, including his 9 playoff scratches) thereby violating the 80/40 rule. Curious as to why the team didn't try to limit his NHL games a bit more last year, though IIRC he was left off of Hershey's clear day roster so he couldn't have been sent down to Hershey just prior to and/or during the playoffs.

In answer to your question on Potulny, I believe he would qualify as a VMLP even if he made more than $105,000 because (by my count) he has been on an NHL roster for only 76 games over the last two seasons, and fewer than 40 games last year (2009-10: 66 games on roster, 64 GP, 2 scratched; 2010-11: 10 games on roster, 10 GP, 0 scratched).

I believe Greentree and Sabourin are the two other players making over $105,000 in the AHL who qualify as VMLPs- correct? I'm unclear about whether Ford and Micflikier would qualify for re-entry waivers (if they made more than $105,000) because they are both on their first NHL contract which (I think) would mean they are exempt from normal waivers for this year [cf. NHL CBA 13.4]. Neither would qualify as a VMLP due to fewer than 320 pro games played.

Thanks for the info- if you don't mind my asking, where were you able to confirm that? Did I miss something in the CBA?