View Single Post
Old
09-28-2011, 06:40 PM
chsb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think its pretty clear that mcphee has adjusted the roster make up with the idea of changing the use of their 3rd line away from a 3rd scoring line. look at the available wingers.

in past seasons the caps often has players like fleischmann and fehr to skate on the 3rd line. this season the caps have ovechkin and semin for the top two lines. after that they have a list of muscle players, knuble, laich, brouwer, ward, and chimera fighting over the two remaining wing spots on the top two lines and the 3rd line wing spots. there is not a catch and shoot player among those 5.

take any two of them and you cant really build a 3rd scoring line just by adding a perreault like center. i dont see a scenario where the current roster can provide a 3rd scoring line. its built for a more traditional physical/checking 3rd line.
If you include Ovechkin,Semin,Backstrom,Johanssen,Knuble on the first 2 lines, the Caps will surely pick one of Laich/Ward/Brouwer for that last spot on the top-6.
It leaves two of Laich/Brouwer/Ward as potential 3rd line wingers.
Both Brouwer and Ward proved in the past they could score 15 goals + on a 3rd line, plus you got Eakin who could play wing.

Yes there is enough scoring left for an offensive 3rd line when you include in a guy like Perreault and I don't think Boudreau will satisfy himself very long with a Halpern type 3rd line Centerman.

Chimera is more of a 4th liner.

The unknown factor is really Sjogren and I believe it weill play between him and Perreault.