View Single Post
Old
09-29-2011, 03:32 AM
ohbaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I agree with jas and ruckus. The "pack line" chemistry is supremely overrated. That line worked because ANY LINE with Dubinsky and Callahan works because they are hard workers with skill. I like Anisimov and he's definitely improved but the majority of his points last season were the result of cally and dubi making things happen. He's a good fit there, but I also think Stepan would be if he ever got more than two games at a time with them. As would Boyle.
I believe you have this backwards. And Dubi and Cally would tell you so. Many times in interviews and articles last year, they credited their line's success,... due to the play of AA in the middle. How he has gotten much stronger than the previous year. Dubi and Cally's career best season, was a direct result of AA centering them. There is no "pack line' without Artem Anisimov in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
I for one think this is a fantastic decision by Torts. It would be so easy to experiment with Dubi on the top line with Gabby and Richards; or put Steps in between Dubi and Cally; or drop Anisimov lower because he plays a two-way game.

But this is a line that, at times, last year were putting up points at a top line pace playing against the other teams' top defensive units. They have natural chemistry, always seem to know where each other are, and work as hard as any forward unit in the league.

Now with opposing teams' most likely saving their big guns for the Richards-Gaborik combination, the Pack Line has the potential to reach even greater heights as a unit and individually. All 3 players are decent playmakers and decent finishers. We could see a situation where the unit continue to grow into one of the best forward combinations in the league... maybe 50-60 pts for each of them. That would certainly put them in some elite company as far as secondary scoring units go.

As excited as I am to see Wolski-Richards-Gaborik go to work, I'm just as excited to watch the evolution of this home-grown Ranger unit into one of the best and and most memorable lines in NYR history. Certainly they are a big part of the reason I have such high expectations for the team this season.
I couldn't agree more. And I have said, Tort's would have to be nuts to break up the one line that worked last year. We have enough LW'ers to rotate in that top spot without having to break up the pack line. IMHO, anyone can play with Gabby and Richards. Hell, I'll bet even Hank would do well on that LW. But seriously, lets give Wolski a shot. He had 65 pts one year removed. 65 pts would have led all Rangers in scoring last year. He deserves a shot. Then maybe Rupp and Avery getting a shift here and there.

I have even went as far as saying the Pack line could be considered our top line, considering the minutes played last year. But that might be a stretch with Richards here now. Richards been averaging 21 minutes the last 3 seasons. And Gabby averaged 21 minutes in his first year here. So in rethinking, they will most likely get the most minutes with the pack line not far behind with maybe 18 a game.