View Single Post
Old
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
He should be cheered. It was Slats that forced him out by signing Naslund before Jagr was ready to make his decision on the 1 year contract after not getting the 2 years like he wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
wth u talking about? He didn't walk out on us, Sather told him that we were going a different direction. The Rangers walked out on him! Mark that down as one of Sather's big goofs.
This is incorrect.... Jagr and his Agent made no serious attempt to negotiate a new contract with the Rangers leading up to July 1st and intentionally dragged their feet.... Sather had no choice but to pursue other options on July 1st rather than wait around all summer for Jagr to eventually pursue his KHL payday that he wanted anyway.... If you read the interviews on July 1st, Sather says he waited around for Jagr's agent to contact them leading up to July 1st, and they didn't get that call, so he spoke with Jagr that day and they told them they were moving in a different direction....

Quote:
"I talked to Jaromir (Thursday) and waited for a call for the last couple of days and nothing happened, so we decided they were going to move on," Sather said. "I gave him the information that we are going to move on at this time. I couldn't wait any longer. If things don't work for him in Russia, he can call us back and we can see what we can do."
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...c-8bd6a81aa751

I know it's fun to make Sather look like the bad guy, but he's absolutely right in this respect... Jagr and his Agent know how the business works... They knew this was time sensitive... If Jagr was serious about rejoining the Rangers that year, they would have put forth an earnest and honest effort to hammer out a deal before July 1st UFA frenzy, because the Rangers absolutely needed to know what his intentions were..... If Sather had no intention to re-sign Jagr, why would he state they were waiting for a call from his agent???? Do you honestly believe that Sather thought Markus Naslund was a better option than Jaromir Jagr? If Jagr was so intent on remaining in the NHL, why didn't he sign with another NHL team that summer? Why did he spend 3 seasons in the KHL if his intentions were to stay in the NHL?

Last edited by wolfgaze: 09-30-2011 at 11:27 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote