View Single Post
Old
10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingCapsFan View Post
My only point is that Bondra's career was almost entirely in the dead-puck era. So his 503 goals (500 goals at least puts you in the conversation for HOF) are worth a heck of a lot more than the goals earned during the 1980's (for example)......that his 503 is a heck of a lot better than it looks on the surface. And to just dismiss him as a one-dimensional goal scorer who barely made 500 goals is not a fair analysis.

Ziggy Palffy has 329 career goals, and no one is making the case that he is a HOFer.
And I am saying if your argument for Bondra was his 'dead puck' era production then Palffy's production from the same era was arguably superior. And if your argument is his career production then during similar career periods Weight, Damphousse, Fleury, Mogilny, and Turgeon all had more productive careers and I don't feel any of them are HoF worthy either.

Bondra was a very good player but not a great one. He was never a 1st or 2nd team NHL all star even when he was leading the league in goal scoring.

I like Bondra. I loved watching him play. One of my favorite experiences as a Caps fan was sitting in the MCI center and they announced he had just resigned and then he went out and had a hattrick against the Leafs. I don't hold a grudge against him for anything that happened after he left the Caps. But 500 goals and pretty much nothing else does not equal HoFer IMO no matter how you want to slice it up...

But I will say I agree with Foy in that 30 years down the road I could see him getting in under the veterans category.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote