View Single Post
Old
10-01-2011, 05:41 PM
WanderingCapsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
And I am saying if your argument for Bondra was his 'dead puck' era production then Palffy's production from the same era was arguably superior. And if your argument is his career production then during similar career periods Weight, Damphousse, Fleury, Mogilny, and Turgeon all had more productive careers and I don't feel any of them are HoF worthy either.

Bondra was a very good player but not a great one. He was never a 1st or 2nd team NHL all star even when he was leading the league in goal scoring.

I like Bondra. I loved watching him play. One of my favorite experiences as a Caps fan was sitting in the MCI center and they announced he had just resigned and then he went out and had a hattrick against the Leafs. I don't hold a grudge against him for anything that happened after he left the Caps. But 500 goals and pretty much nothing else does not equal HoFer IMO no matter how you want to slice it up...

But I will say I agree with Foy in that 30 years down the road I could see him getting in under the veterans category.
I agree with much of what you say. I admit Bondra is a borderline-at-best HOFer.

This thread is about the rafters. Are there too many #'s up there now? Yes. But what is the criteria? If Gartner is up there, then Bondra easily should be. Retired #'s should be about what you did with that team. Bondra has 75 more goals with the Capitals than Gartner. Bondra led the Capitals in goals 8 times, Gartner 5 times.

Is it because Gartner is a HOFer? That's crappy criteria. Why isn't Larry Murphy's # retired then? Will we retire 68 when Jagr goes into the HOF (put a bullet in my brain!)?

I think we should take down everything except 5 (and maybe 32). But with what is up there now, 12 should be a no-brainer.

Last edited by WanderingCapsFan: 10-01-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Stray letters
WanderingCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote