View Single Post
Old
10-02-2011, 09:14 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
This is going to continue to be a hotly contested debate until Poile uses that cap space. I think more than anything, there is a lot of bitter disappointment in management not putting their money where their mouth is. We knew Weber was going to make $7M+

They haven't put up the money to improve the team from last years team. Notice, I am not saying at all costs, simply saying I think Poile could be doing more to actively go out and try to find some forward talent. We have a lot of redundant pieces that should be moveable.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, Franson to me, brought a unique skill set of being able to get the puck on the net as well as could've developed into a power play QB. I also feel like having a center lineup of Lombardi, Fisher, Legwand is absolutely outstanding. All three of these guys are great defensively, good offensively, and can work PK and PP. I don't understand what is wrong with having that kind of depth? Sure Lombardi was a question, but if we were going to move franson and him for peanuts the least we could've done is use the money we saved.
Franson lacked the puck passing skills to be a QB. Yes, he had a great snapshot, but that was it offensively and that skill doesn't translate to becoming a QB. Defensively he was an extremely redundant player in our system and less skilled in his own end than a lot of the guys we have fighting for spots right now. We got rid of a 3rd pairing guy who was easily replaced from within the organization, period.

Bergfors (career best 21g, 44pts) is 1/6th the cost of Lombardi (career bests 20g and 53 points in separate seasons)... Smith is 1/5th the cost. Both are much lower risk than Lombardi with his concussion history. There are a lot of unproven players on our roster, but their potential upside is equal or greater than what we moved out with less risk and a lower cost.

Spending more money does not equal icing a better team.