View Single Post
Old
10-02-2011, 10:00 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Let's hope Campoli is OK, but it will be Diaz and Woywitka going to the Bulldogs...Weber and Emelin stay...
I don't think we would have triggered the Campoli signing if Woywitka had impressed the brass. I think Woy is now simply seen as deep injury filler. But IMO he is really good deep injury filler in that case, given his NHL experience. I think he will dominate Hamilton on D, ahead of Henry, and get another chance eventually. I would also not be completely shocked if he did not clear waivers and a weakish team picked him up.

Campoli has the potential to replace Hamrlik as a D-man with the ability to chip in points. He is certainly more mobile than Hamrlik has become at 37. On the defensive side, he might not be quite as solid as Hammer, but Spacek being quicker and playing left-side will help compensate at the team level.

I do think Diaz is ahead of Weber as a defenceman. Weber has a slight advantage over other subs in being able to play RW in a defensive role, and he also has a one-way contract, so I think he stays until and unless all our wounded return and we run out of options. I would think that once Eller is back, Weber would be ahead of Engqvist who continues to completely unimpress me with his lack of footspeed and agility - not very aggressive either which could have made up for it (as White does despite also being slow). Engqvist is also waiver-exempt.

Personally I think Yemelin has a bigger upside than Diaz but as of today there is not that much difference between them and maybe they will both get some minutes until Markov returns.

My depth chart:

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Campoli
Spacek
Gill
Yemelin
Diaz
Woywitka
Weber (as a D)

I will say I am surprised the club did not offer a tryout to Paul Mara. He seems like a great depth D to have and a quality teammate. Perhaps he would not accept a 2-way contract like Woywitka did.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote