PGT: 5-1 We are doomed! Let's tank!!
View Single Post
10-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Join Date: Sep 2008
The reason we argue is that there are two different concepts here.
- Physical play (strong hits, finishing checks in a legal manner, energy, winning the 1 on 1 battles, getting the opponent to be intimidated and avoid contact to a).
- Cheapshots - stuff intended to harm someone out of the game.
Now - you have two other options: Enforcers vs Team Toughness.
Things we should all agree on:
- Physical play is needed. Physical play wins games, even at the Olympics. Physical play is enjoyable to watch.
- Cheapshots are evil. They serve no purpose. They limit or end careers. While they cause fear and (somehow) rivalries, noone wants them to stay.
- Team toughness is good for improving your team's physical play.
The topics to be discussed:
- Do enforcers actually increase physical play ? can be debated.
- Do enforcers prevent cheapshots ? IMO not so far.
- Does physical play from your team attract cheap shots against your team ? Since the opponent is irritated and finds no other way to answer ? Interesting issue considering the Bruins history.
- Does severe punishment against illegal hits reduce cheapshots ? hopefully - that's the whole point they're doing.
- Does severe punishment against illegal hits lower the physicality of the play ? No proof for that but that's the main fear of some fans and even GMs.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Newhabfan