View Single Post
Old
10-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Ruslan Zainullin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1976 View Post
Not to sound like an ahole, but have you ever wondered why Canada and the US are going this way? Checking back in my day (growing up in the early 80's) we were taught to ride the player off the puck. We put our shoulder into the other players body and rode them off the puck. We didn't bring our hands up and push off, or target the head, we just got our bodies between the puck and the other player.

It seems now a days everybody is trying for that big hit to "light" somebody and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work. Here is an example, my son and I were at our local rink and a defenseman stepped up to make that big hit, he made the huge hit and took himself out of the play that resulted in a 2 on 1 and a goal for the other team. My son said "dad did you see that hit" and I said yeah but did you notice how the other team scored.
i'm 27, so about 10-15 years younger than you from the sounds of things. we started checking in peewee, and it wasnt about "knocking the guy off the puck with your shoulder" when we started hitting it became a whole lot less about playing hockey and more about taking runs at guys. I have 3 hockey related concussions that have been diagnosed, there may be more, I quit first year midget after i got run head first into the boards from a nasty hit from behind and suffered a neck injury that wasn't very nice.

Honestly i'm glad hockey canada is going this way. In this country things have gotten pretty wild with teenagers playing hockey, we need to cool it on the macho attitude that is so prevalent in this country and start thinking a little more about safety.

Ruslan Zainullin is offline   Reply With Quote