View Single Post
Old
10-04-2011, 04:23 PM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
even getting rid of betts we still do not have to use anyone other than giroux from the top 6.
Well, yeah... but we have a top six consisting of Brière, Jagr, Voracek, JvR (who might in his career turn into a solid pker, but I wouldn't count on it for this season) and Hartnell (who I think might be decent if we're going with 3 forward pairs).

It's not the same as when we had the likes of Gagné, Richards and Carter. Even guys like Knuble and Umberger could be put into this category since they probably would've been on the top six of this team if you somehow could have the 07-08 Knuble and the 11-12 Simmonds on the same team.

I think Simmonds could develop into a pretty decent guy to have on the pk if they try him out on a regular basis, but I would have liked to see him show more of that before ditching Betts. Same goes for guys like Read and Couturier/Schenn. It's one thing to look good on the pk in preseason games, and a whole other thing to do it when the games actually matters.

Edit: Also, as much as I love Giroux, let's see how he does without Richards on the pk. He won't be able to cheat as much as he did last season and still have his ass covered if he's got Read or someone like that out there with him. I don't believe he'll be a train wreck or anything, but I do think the loss of Richards will have a great impact on how Giroux can play the pk, and it might take some time for him to adapt to that.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote