View Single Post
Old
10-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
I'll trust this guys opinion (Bill Meltzer--hockeybuzz blogger):

Quote:
None of the moves the Flyers made yesterday can be classified as a complete shock. However, I did not think the club was going to waive Blair Betts. During yesterday's practice, in fact, Betts skated in his normal 4th line center spot.

When general manager Paul Holmgren addressed the media in the SkateZone lockerroom, he implied that Betts would be gone from the team even if he clears waivers at noon today. Holmgren said that he had just "had a difficult conversation" with the veteran forward, and admitted that the play of Matt Read and Sean Couturier in penalty killing situations during the preseason -- as well as the signing of Max Talbot -- had factored into the decision to waive Betts.

If it were my call to make, I would have kept Betts around. He's still a good faceoff man (better than Talbot or the 18-year-old Couturier) and makes few mistakes. Plus, he's only making $700,000 on the cap, so the club is not really saving that much money by jettisoning him from the roster. The only financial advantage is that it gets the club $700 K closer to not needing to dip into the forthcoming Ian Laperriere LTIR allowance (which only applies if the team is otherwise over the cap).

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...10511/45/38597

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote