Thread: Confirmed with Link: Montreal Claims Blair Betts
View Single Post
Old
10-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
Interesting. I went over the Flyers board and found that the vast majority of posters were sorry to see him go and expected him to be a positive pick up for the Habs.

Then, on interest, I went and checked out the Devils board to see their reaction to trading Steckel to the leafs for a 4th. They were basically celebrating, couldn't believe anyone would pay so much for Steckel. Betts' name came up as a much better player (though not all liked Betts, nobody, but nobody, liked Steckel. Apparently he gets tossed out of a bunch of faceoffs, inflating his stats but reducing his usefulness and apart from faceoffs is a total slug- slow, soft and useless.)

It was striking how much more positive Flyers fans were about Betts versus Jersey fans about Steckel. (Not to inflate Betts, he was liked, not more than that. Steckel is despised on the NJ board. I mean despised. And he barely played there.) Encouraging for Montreal, if only just HF board chatter. I'm also taking a big pause before I jump on the "we should've got Steckel, he's big and young and a facefoff god" bandwagon. He's worn out his welcome with two fanbases in very little time. Washington's PK was way better without him, faceoff stats or no. I'll be interested to see how both he and Betts (mostly Betts) play.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote