View Single Post
Old
10-05-2011, 10:02 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Because Greene has rightfully earned a spot and deserves to play?

Greene is going to play every game that he's healthy. Does he have to? No, nobody has to, but he will. Which NHL team wouldn't have that be the case? He's paid his dues as well. He's a leader on the team. He's 27, played almost 400 games in the NHL, and an additional 30 in the playoffs. He's going to be in the lineup unless an injury takes him out.

Martinez had a spot to lose going into camp. Drewiske is a cheap 7th defenseman who doesn't need to play. Voynov doesn't have to be on the team. If Martinez doesn't play well, Voynov is a phone call away.
You're not telling me anything about Greene that I don't already know. The difference is, I'm thinking of the bigger picture (the stanley cup).

For discussion sake, let's back up a bit. My original post was questioning those who said that VV would have only played 10 games and thus the demotion. My point is, it didn't have to be only 10 games if VV was the 7th dman.

Ok, now that I've established that, my thinking behind Greene/AM/VV splitting 160+ games is that I'm thinking about the playoffs and the stanley cup. What would happen if one of the dmen were to go down with a season ending injury in the playoffs? Wouldn't you feel better about the situation had VV played 40+ nhl games as oppose to 10 nhl games or another full season down in the ahl with no nhl experience? I know I would.

Now, you could argue that DL could try and pick up a vet for the playoff run but who's to say that we'll be able swing a trade or that he'll be better than VV with 40 games of experience?

Back to Greene playing 70 games..I'm pretty sure a leader and a character guy like Greene would understand. He may not like it, but I think he would understand.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote