View Single Post
Old
10-26-2003, 04:50 PM
dukeforrest

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to dukeforrest
I concur: excellent post, Lowetide.

I don't believe the Oilers will make the playoffs this year (I was optimistic in the summer.) The defence should get better, or at least Semi will get any notions of a sophomore slump out of the way. But Salo just can't deliver the above-average performance needed to bail out such a young (or old and slow) defence. There are few goalies who could. However, if Salo DOES bounce back to a + .910 SVP over the rest of the season, the Oilers have a decent shot.

It should be exciting to see who emerges from the Oilers young forwards as the compliment to Hemsky on the top line or the consistent second-liner to play with York. Will Torres continue to score? Will Rita finally establish himself on the team? Will Salmo sneak into the lineup? Who will become the whipping boy if Brewer, Pisani, Isbister, and Salo turn things around?

Anyways, the Oilers should be able to trade some of their assets for a solid NHL goalie before March, and then we'll all be happy as the Oilers get a decent draft pick and move on up after the CBA issue is resolved.