Thread: building lungs?
View Single Post
10-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Enzo Gorlomi
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
It might sound a bit silly but what got me surviving a lot longer into games is stopping as little as possible.
When at the blueline I was always circling as its so much easier to speed up from already moving than it is from a complete standstill.
Just by doing this I managed to play a lot better and a lot longer than I could before.
This is undoubtedly true. I mean, it's still important to have good cardio and if you're so winded by the end of the game that you're looking for advice on how to increase your capacity for cardiovascular activity, you should probably do some running, HIIT, weight lifting, etc. to get your self going off the ice, but all of that said, the best players don't ever stand still on the ice, and don't ever really stop moving.

When I'm covering the point as a winger, I'm not standing near my guy, I'm circling up so that at the peak of my circle I'm within a stick length of the guy, and at the bottom of my circle I'm at the top of the slot, keeping my head on a swivel and making sure I know if my point-man tries to sneak in back door or anything. When we're breaking out, I don't skate to a designated area and wait there, because that's where we were told is the ideal place to make the outlet pass... I circle through that area, keeping my head up, looking back at the puck carrier as often as I can (depending on the traffic in front of me) and keeping my tape in a position that he can hit my stick. In the offensive zone, same thing. I don't go to an area of the ice and tap my stick for a pass. I swoop in and out of the open areas, making sure my tape is open. There's no way to eliminate the stop and start from hockey, but the more you limit it, the better your game will be.

Enzo Gorlomi is offline   Reply With Quote