View Single Post
Old
10-26-2003, 06:27 PM
LawnDemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Ah, in comes lowetide to steer the rudderless "HFS Oiler boardship" into the sunrise.

I think there is alot of truth in this thread. It's just hard for alot of us to swallow mediocrity.....again this season. Alot don't want to beleive the team has gotten worse........no matter how hard it clubs us over the head. But like Kraigus, I just can't turn my head.

I agree the Oilers won't make the playoffs. And on paper when you look at the departures mentioned in this thread it shouldn't be that shocking.

How this young team responds to adversity (right now) and next time will say alot about our spot in the pecking order in spring. It's almost a good thing if it happens earlier in the season in my opinion. And it IS early in the season. How many games Tommy can steal will be a factor also.

MacT will be a HUGE factor.

The mentality is to be a high flying, high energy team...........with limited skill.

It seems that implementing some systems (like other starless teams) for certain game situations is the farthest thing away from this coaching staffs minds. Instead just skate faster than them and we'll just go by the seat of our pants for a night of "chase the puck". That breeds inconsistancy with this much youth in the line-up.

I still reminice about that streak in the 01-02 season. Oilers had what a 10 game streak going? Shots were down and Tommys avg was real low through the stretch. They were really getting it done with tight defence. It wasn't fire wagon.........but what else can a young inexperienced team do?

Go coast to coast with every different team in the league? And when that doesn't work, they get frustrated. Because they are young. They are inexperienced. And not playing within their means.

But they are capable of learning to play more than 1 style of hockey.

I feel how this team is coached and what direction this team should go in playing style is up for huge debate around here.
as always, very astute.

i also don't disagree with LT but i keep coming back to a single thought: put a sutter behind the bench and this team will win. and winning is all that matters...

coaching is a problem here.