View Single Post
Old
10-26-2003, 06:43 PM
Goulet17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Has this guy ever looked this slow and disoriented in his career? He simply does not have all that good of speed, he is constantly losing the puck when it's on his stick, and gets outmuscled by nearly every single player in this league.

Thoughts?
I don't think he has looked all that bad. He doesn't appear to have the chemistry yet on his line. He has been snake bit somewhat by hitting a couple of posts.

Clearly Konowalchuk can't play a second line role with Sakic, it was the same situation with Battaglia. Niether player has the skill level to keep up.

The loss of Kariya seems to have completely neutralized Sakic's line. Kariya may very well be the key player for Sakic and Selanne.

Also don't forget Sakic has been a slow starter at times in his career, during his 2000-2001 Hart Trophy season, he only had I think 2 or 3 goals through the first 13 games of that season.

One problem is that Selanne and Sakic don't appear to have chemistry. I would try moving Hejduk to Sakic's line as his right wing with Kariya on the left wing. That would leave Selanne to play with Forsberg and Tanguay. I just think that Selanne would have more chemistry with Forsberg. It is worth a shot. But frankly I don't think Granato is all that bright or creative, so I don't expect him to attempt this.

The other scenario with Sakic is that you are seeing the effects of age. He turned 34 this summer, perhaps he is losing a little speed and physical ability. I don't think this is the case, but you never know.

The more distressing part with Sakic is that he appears to be making some poor decisions on defense, that does concern me, because it is out of his character.