View Single Post
Old
10-26-2003, 07:31 PM
USC Trojans
New Era

vCash: 500
I agree with LT's original post...I am optimistic that if we can keep this core of players for the next two or so years, the Oilers can be a force to be reckoned with...the matter is, will the new CBA allow them to do so...that we still have to see.

Looking at the big picture, I'd be willing to sit through a year of mediocrity knowing that better things will be coming for the Oilers. I'm willing to be patient this year to see how the CBA turns out before resetting my expectations for the team. Of course, I'd want them to do well this year, but if they struggle this season it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. If it means that Ovechkin could be the final piece of the puzzle for this team, then bring it on. I know some people may disagree with me but I'd rather go through one or two years of mediocrity and then have them become a contender than to watch them struggle to make the playoffs for another 6 or 7 years only to be eliminated in the first round. Maybe I'm more patient than most fans, but thats the way I feel.

As for MacT, yeah, his line juggling always puzzles me...but if you think about it, the Oilers have had most of their team come and go for the past few years. When was the last time the Oilers had their entire top line stick for more than two years? Weight to Comrie to Horcoff...Guerin to Carter to Dvorak...throw in some rookies and forwards who have come through trades and we have a totally different team every year. Finding chemistry for them is amazingly tough for a coach who's barely had three years of experience. Considering what was given to MacT, I think he's done a decent job. I think with the addition of Simpson as his assistant, the coaching for this team will only get better. That said, I do wish that he would take some risks (benching some of the vets for their poor play), but other than that, I don't think he's doing too bad of a job.

Of course, my dream would be shattered if the new CBA doesn't go our way, but for now, I'm liking what Lowe has planned for the future.