Thread: Our Payroll
View Single Post
Old
10-26-2003, 07:36 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Buying a small market Canadian team is not a sound business decision, nor is it an effective way of making money. If they really wanted to make money, they'd trim 12 mil off the payroll and play in front of 10,000 fans every night.

Why do you think it took forever (and a couple of close calls on moves to the states) for these owners to finally buy this team? It isn't because the Oilers were in a league notorious for teams making money. It's like anyone... if I had tonnes of money I would buy the Oilers and take a loss to keep them in Edmonton... but I don't and neither does this ownership group, they can't afford losses, and even with a new CBA, the owners can't afford more than a $35 mil payroll.
That's a rather suspect argument. Todd MacFarlane alone has the cash to own this team if he decides it's what he wants. Why not make him want it? Bruce Saville and others are also very very wealthy people. I'm not saying the ownership are bad people or anything like that, I hope it's not coming out that way. I just don't like the gun-to-our-heads mentality that alot of people here accept, and I simply have no belief in.