View Single Post
Old
10-07-2011, 07:08 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
So if your team winds up giving up just two goals you are gonna spend all your time taunting your own team instead of cheering for them to win? That is a strange opening night plan bro.
How about this one: "Start Montoya! clap! clap! clap-clap-clap!"

I recognize how much of a polarizing figure that DiPietro is, but I gotta defend some of DP's naysayers, since the best thing he's done for the team in 4 years is muddle the goalie picture enough to help the Islanders fail hard enough to draft strong. Now that the team has the pipeline back and is (verbally) committed to winning, they need safe goaltending which we get from DP once in ten games.

I wouldn't drive across the country in familiar car with a knocking sound in the engine and I wouldn't push an oft-injured goalie to play at an elite level before testing him where a relapse/hiccup won't botch the Isles playoff chances. I'm not dissing your opinion, but the anti-DP faction has a logical argument, if not the best means of voicing it.

Montoya may not be a household name, but he was the guy with the best stats, both at last season's end and after this pre-season....that's good enough for me. Despite his contract, DP is only one player to wear the Islander jersey. If it takes the proper, season-long convalescence in Bridgeport to make the smartest call regarding where the team goes from there, there's no need to rush him to the roster when Nabokov and Montoya are both capable.

If he proves himself to be a superstar again, I'll gladly applaud and eat my words, since the ISLANDERS winning by any means necessary is what I'd like to see.....but the way he's trending, he likely won't. Reflexively, if he proves himself to be a stumbling block during/after this season, I hope the team does the right thing- play the best player, sit DP down with a doctor to tell him to do what needs to be done and retire, give him season pressbox tix for life and free the Islanders from a deteriorating goalie, whether or not his contract goes away with it,