Thread: Our defense
View Single Post
Old
10-08-2011, 03:41 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
I disagree. Phanuef is an all-around defencemen capable of playing on the #1 pair. His partner is also an all-around guy. The next two pairings have a strong physical stay at home defenceman paired with an above average puck mover. Depth is also important and as I said before they have two guys at 7 and 8 in their early 20s at 6'5" who have already shown they can be top 6 defencemen in the league. These two guys have opposite skill sets and can fill in almost any role.
I am NOT a Leafs fan nor am I fan of Brian Burke, but like you, I think that Toronto has methodically rebuilt their defense. Their oldest defenseman is 30 years old and probably right near his prime. Most of the others are significantly younger, including Phaneuf, and have the potential to continue their development.

On the Habs roster we have 36 year old Hal Gill and 37 year old Jaro Spacek who are unlikely to improve or even maintain the level of play they achieved int he past. Yet they are going to play big minutes.

Everyone was so focused on getting the missing piece to the puzzle, the power forward, that the defense was forgotten. Now with Campoli out, even Math Man might have to admit we are running thin on the blue line.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote