Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
To Ottawa:
Hannan
Marleau

To San Jose:
Redden
Havlat

Ottawa: More of a forward looking trade. Marleau is already signed to his $4M per year contract and Hannan will definately cost less than Redden to re-sign. This also fixes the second line C problem and gives us two of the most lethal C/RW combo's in the league. We lose some offense from the backend but will most likely be able to keep the rest of the defense intact by not having to worry about Redden's contract on top of Chara's.

San Jose: Kind of weakens SJ at the center position (maybe add Smolinski for a pick) but overall I think Havlat will bring more offense than Marleau is capable of. I think the pressure of being relied upon to "be the offense" has hurt him whereas that kind of attention is what Havlat would probably thrive in. Defensively it is definately an upgrade which should soothe some of the pain from letting Marleau go. In their own end Hannan and Redden are pretty equal imo, but offensively and on the PP Redden will give SJ a hell of alot more.

Talent wise this is a fair trade. I don't think San Jose would do this trade though. They are one of the few teams that have inked the same roster for the last few years and I see no reason for them to make a move like this.