View Single Post
Old
10-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Big difference in relative to the Habs' defense situation, yes I believe so. For the reason, in your own words, "He'd be sending a couple of guys 1 spot down and THAT'S somehow a difference maker."
Yet, if you still take my own words, if Campoli moves everyboyd 1 spot down, same would apply to Hamrlik. And one team who should win the conference didn't seem to mind giving a 2 years contract to one guy while the other was sitting at home.

Quote:
This is actually the number 1 thing that was addressed this season, with the additions of Campoli, Emelin, and Diaz.
Well you responded to a quote that had "experience" in it...which is not what Diaz and Emelin are all about.

Quote:
Hammer really doesn't make much a difference in this context.
Hamrlik isn't a punishing d-man yet, he's still big, tough to move and a presence that make him better in 1 on 1 than a whole lot of smaller guys.

Quote:
I wanted to sign him, read any of my posts from the offseason regarding the defense, and Wiz and Gill should have been let go for different reasons, while Hammer should have be resigned.
Great. So did I. And even when he was suppose to be struggling, I was a fan understanding that he was playing a role that wasn't his, and that he was playing it for a long time. He was a victim of circumstances. Something he would not have been this year with us based on the fact that we all think Subban can play a bigger role and based on the fact that we all think Markov will come back.

Quote:
But the last sentence just doesn't make much sense. Hammer was massively ridiculed last season, for reasons I have no idea why, he was a typical scapegoat. Besides Spacek, he was the most bashed defensemen on the team, by a long shot. So to make any claim that people would have done this, or done that, is unfounded, because bottom line, is most people have a thing against Hamrlik, not the other way around.
Let just say this is directed towards the ones who keeps changing their mind depending what the org. does. If it doesn't fit you, it was not directed to you then.

Quote:
Simply put, Montreal is not a lottery team. Sorry, not a chance, they will never finish in the bottom 5 of this league with the talent they have, and the coach they have. Not a chance. And any claim that they are only X away from being a lottery pick is completely exaggerated and melodramatic.
That's a point I guess I misunderstood 'cause I don't understand your reply or I guess my reply for that matter. In no way am I implying that we'll finish bottom 5, with or without Hamrlik. I thought you meant that losing Hamrlik would not make us finish bottom 5, to which I reply that losing everybody BUT Subban, would also NOT make us finish in the bottom 5. Though at one point, I believe losing might hurt us immensely, I guess you are right. The Habs will make the necessary adjustment so we don't finish in the bottom 5. I agree. Yet, it's not about that anymore. It's about becoming one of the better teams in the league.

Quote:
I would consider the two sentences here contradictions. Hamrlik is a stop gap, that would be the definition of playing it safe, not improving.
You improve when the guy you retain is better than the guy replacing him. I believe Hamrlik is better than Gill. Also believe Hamrlik is better than everybody but Subban and Gorges. At worst, it makes him #3 right now. #4 as soon as Markov comes back. Having Hamrlik would improve the defense we have now. The ideal is to have a much better team. But we weren't in an ideal position. I believe they had no choice to sign Markov unless they did a poor job medically. If they were sure everything was going to be fine, they had no choice to sign him, was the best guy available. Yet, you HAD to be solid in case something happened. And not rely on 2 who had never played in the NHL etc.

Quote:
Do I think they need to acquire a bonafide top 4 defensemen that is young, and has upside? YES, definitely. But Hamrlik is not that player, and the team by and large can do what they need to do without him.
Everybody would welcome such player. It's not what it's all about. It is sometimes to do with what you can control. When Plan A doesn't work, you go to Plan B. Funny part is that I believe Hamrlik was Plan B until he asked for 1 more year which freaks me out based on all those years we've given to a whole lot of players in this team who we already start to regret and for the others, who we will regret 2 years before it ends. 3 years? Yes, way too much. And I would not have done it. But 2 years? Come on, you get a good player this year for sure and if he regresses next year....well you live with it ,cause you tell yourself it's the last year....Same way people feel good about Spacek and why you'll see so many "Who cares about Jaro, he's gone anyway" when he's not going to play correctly.