View Single Post
Old
10-10-2011, 12:16 AM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
This is the best thing to do, we need hartnell this year, you know what you get from him and his production is decent.... relying too much on young players if we get rid of him

Here's the thing for me. I know that our owner and GM haven't given up on this year and after just 2 games we look real good and all but we made an aweful lot of changes this offseason and we became a whole lot younger in some very key areas. No matter how good we play this year I really don't see a parade at the end of the season. I think it's going to be a growing season for us, new guys learning a new system, guys needing time to "gel" with each other, Giroux and JVR getting used to being the new faces and leaders of the team, the young guys and rookies just getting a little more experience.

Losing Hartnell now would make the "growing pains" this year even worse but I don't just want "moral victories" or "growth steps", I want the cup and who really cares about "little achievements" if it doesn't bring home the cup. Yes losing Hartnell would be another step backwards this season but we could realisitcally get a mid 1st in the June draft for him if we traded him now. While that player may not make a huge difference next year, he certainly COULD relatively soon or the pick could even be packaged to bring in a replacement for Pronger/Timonen (say Suter or Weber).

With Hartnell I can see us making it to the 2nd rnd and losing there. Without him I see us probably just making the playoffs and losing in the 1st rnd. Trading him later I don't think we'd get nearly as much as we could right now in return. If my choices are to keep Hartnell, lose in the 2nd rnd and then get a 2nd rnd pick for him or to trade him now for a 1st and to lose in the 1st rnd then I personally want the latter.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote