View Single Post
Old
10-10-2011, 11:12 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Okay, I have to admit the D looked a lot better against Winnipeg. I really hope they prove me wrong and that Math Man is right.

If Weber can maintain a positive attitude about his role he can be a really important part of this team. Maybe Campoli's injury will result in Martin taking a longer look at Emelin so we can see what he can contribute. Didn't something like that happen with Subban last year. It could be a silver lining.

Gill, for all his shortcomings, looks more effective to me and he is standing up for his team mates, Diaz looks more comfortable and Gorges is throwing his body all over the ice blocking shots.
Let's keep the mentality that it's just one game and try to stay as grounded as possible, but the 3 youngsters (Diaz, Emelin and Weber) all had solid games against Winnipeg. It's hard not to be positive about it, I also thought Weber played good against Toronto (one of the few that did).

But we are a lot younger, a lot more mobile and creative from the back end then last year's version of the club. That much was evident last night, the transition game was solid. I hope of all things, Weber gets a continued look at defense and on the PP. Martin seems to have a hate on for this kid but all he needs is confidence and I've been saying it forever. He might never reach the kind of ceiling Subban can/will but I have no problems seeing him in a role where he plays 20min a night and puts up 35-40pts a year.

PP units should look like this IMO:

Subban-Weber (they can switch on the fly, would confuse opponants as both have good one-timers as well as stationary shots)

Diaz-Emelin (both see the ice well and distribute the puck well, one-timer threat from both side although not as deadly as the first wave)

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote