View Single Post
Old
10-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Predatore

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Predatore
LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton)

For those that are interested in younger prospects, there is this Swedish kid Magnus Pääjärvi (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=6014), who appears to be the best Swedish prospect we have seen in a long, long while.

Pääjärvi is born 1991, 14-years old and thus eligible for the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. He is 6'0 and growing and has already, despite his young age, received plenty of attention in Sweden.

In the yearly prospect tournament TV-pucken (a tournament for the best 16-year olds, all districts in Sweden have a team and the final games are broadcasted) this Pääjärvi kid was among the best players there, playing against players that were two years older. He scored 8 goals and 3 assists in 8 games and was the fourth best scorer in the tournament.

His fine performance has granted him the chance not to make the U16 national team (players born 1990), but also the U17 team (players born 1989). Considering he outscored most players that will be at the U17 camp, he has a great shot at making the cut. If he makes it, it will be quite unique and I am not sure if I have ever seen a Swedish 14-year old play on the Swedish U17 team. I do not think so.

Anyway, a short scouting profile.
- Good size (for a 14-year old, anyway)
- Fast skater
- Fine technical skills, has plenty of nice dekes and moves that he uses
- Excellent hockey sense
- Excellent scoring tough
- The instinct of a winner

on the downside, he is like many really young prospects very mediocre in his own end and does not backcheck enough.

Well, I figure you guys will be hearing a lot about this kid in the next few years so I thought I'd be the first one to give you a short introduction.

Note: Those of you familiar with the Swedish WHLer Björn Svensson (plays for Moose Jaw), Pääjärvi is actually Svensson's younger brother.