View Single Post
Old
10-27-2003, 08:52 AM
bucksoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031027/nhl_edm2-sun.html

Kevin Prendergast, the Oilers chief scout and vice-president of hockey operations, is in the U.S. on a scouting trip and he spent Saturday night watching the Portland Winterhawks beat the Prince Albert Raiders 2-0 in Oregon.

It just so happens that towering defenceman Braydon Coburn, selected eighth overall by the Thrashers in the 2003 Entry Draft, plays for Portland.

While Lowe is keeping his cards close to the vest as he attempts to trade Comrie, Atlanta remains near the top of the list of likely destinations. Coburn could prove to be a piece of that puzzle if a multi-player deal is in the works.

The wrench jamming things up is Lowe wants to deal from a position of strength, but with the Oilers having lost three straight games and Atlanta off to a 4-1-2-1 start without Dany Heatley, GM Don Waddell holds all the cards.

Outside of red-hot Ilya Kovalchuk, centre Marc Savard has been the best of the Thrashers. While Savard would certainly fit the bill at pivot here, Waddell has the hammer.

Having Prendergast at a Winterhawks game definitely gives some validity to the Coburn rumor, and he could be a great defensive prospect to add to the system, but is anyone excited about the possibility of Savard coming to Edmonton? Considering all the problems he had in Calgary, would it surprise anyone here if he didn't like playing for the Oilers and was underperforming? Picking up Stefan in some sort of multi-player trade would be a far better gamble, as the change of scenery may do the former first overall pick some good.
Wow... Seems really unlikely, but if they WERE at the game....

If it were just any other scout, I wouldn't be thinking anything of it... I mean that is what scouts do... they watch junior games. But Prendergast is a different fish altogether... something could be in the works.

As for any deal involving Coburn... interesting. It could definitely work well for EDM... however it could backfire too.

Ditto for the rumours like Weiss. Exactly the type of upside we are looking for (especially if a decent young D is also involved). I'd just want to be sure that my scouts were all-aboard w.r.t. Weiss. A bust could really foul things up for us for a while.