Khabibulin

Where do I sign?
My thinking is:
Hall-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Paajarvi-Bourque -Hagelin
Rupp - Lindberg - Prust
Fedotenko is our spare, which helps keep him fresh the rest of the year
Pitlick also in the equation at some point.

I'll be shocked if Bourque can get through a whole season, but if he does half a season, I'll be happy. We can then think about temporary promotion from within with Fedotenko full time or Yorgan gets a cup of coffee, possibly John Mitchell alternatively, or see the waiver wire/trade options. Worst case scenario is Christiansen 2.0

Your criticism as to D being thin is entirely valid, I'm simply saying its worth it. With this extra firepower holding down the fort until Kreider next year (replacing Bourque), we still finally get enough pressure in the other end to score some goals. The time of possession would be dramatically improved in our favor. That's less exhaustion for D playing in the other end not ours.

As to the D:
Staal-Erixon
Vtank-Parlett
Pashnin-Woywitka
Eminger

I am expecting we can get Pashnin returned, even if not that's still as to bottom of our defense.
after the top 4, plus presumably Pashnin, with Eminger as your 6th/7th, if Jeff Woywitka is not up to snuff, then choose from

Bickel
Ivan Baranka
lkka Heikkinen
Lee Baldwin
Jyri Niemi
each of whom has minuses but enough ability to just make it, adding minimum minutes, especially if it is a stay at home type of D which doesn't require as much additional skating as a playmaking D.

Wolski/Zuccarello/Christensen are on the block and might get help at D, probably if bundled with a prospect or a pick.
Michael St. Croix , Andreas Thuresson, are the kinds of prospects who could now be sacrificed with modest overpayment to get us that D.

I fully expect we can get Gunarrsson from Maple Leafs.
With the above F group, who cares if we have to give all 5 of Wolski, Zuccarello, Christensen, St. Croix, and Thuresson for him?

and could McIlrath contribute at season's end?
If yes we only need even less stopgap from the 5 prospects/suspects named

G
Lundqvist

If Chad Johnson can get us that D, or be even part payment on that D, we have an option on Khabibulin who was to accommodate Oilers.

I see Tablot/next in line, with Stacjer developing every day, possibly competing for the backup next year.

Would you at least agree that:
1. Winning by any margin beats losing too many close games, as we clearly are at present and will do without some boost, in partly because we play a defensive based system that only encourages pinching, so all offensive help is at a premium.

2. Obtaining second and third pair Ds are easier than obtaining young stud sniper Ws in their early 20s.

Last edited by bernmeister: 10-11-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: omission inserted