View Single Post
Old
10-27-2003, 10:51 AM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Maybe a package with either Dafoe or Hurme makes this work.
I was wondering the same thing although Dafoe would be a big mistake in my opinion.

A couple questions;

Does anyone know how close Coburn was to actually cracking Atlanta's roster?

I really have no idea how deep Atlanta is on the blueline but it seems unusual that Prendergast would be the guy to take a look at Coburn unless the Oil were under the impression that he is close to stepping into their line up and needed their big dog to try and assess where he is at.

Also, there are a few goalies out there that are rumoured to be on the block including Salo, does anyone know how long Burke, Kolzig and Dafoe's contracts are for?

I can't see the Oil trading for one of Atlanta's centers but the idea of getting Coburn and Hurme in one deal may not be so bad if Lowe has a taker for Salo in a Salo for a center trade to do at the same time (or maybe a three team blockbuster?).
Are there any teams out there that have a center to offer and in need of a veteran goalie that isn't commited beyond this season? Colorado maybe?

As poor as Salo's numbers have been, he has also proven that he can benefit from a change of scenery, maybe a Salo trade isn't so far fetched. He could be a good short term fit for a team that has a young starter and is looking to split the time with a proven vet. like I said they wouldn't be committed to keep him beyond this year and yet if he re-energized his play with the change in venue, there is the option to hang on to him for a couple more seasons.
At the very least Salo has shown that when the team infront of him plays a deciplined system, he is capable of putting up some good numbers. Too me it seems that he can't keep calm when the defence infront of him starts to struggle, a problem alot of teams in the league don't have therefore may be a good fit for him.