View Single Post
Old
10-11-2011, 01:59 PM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Just curious why you think if it were some clueless guy on MTV it would be alright but since it's Cherry on HNIC it isn't okay.

Don't get me wrong I think Cherry is a total tool but I also think suing him over it is quite laughable. He called them pukes and it was pathetic, he misunderstood them and misquoted him which makes him stupid, but why bother sinking to his level or even acknowledging his stupidity? In the past nobody has cared but now that a bunch of folks used these deaths as part of their agenda against fighting and Cherry blabbed his mouth all of the sudden now lawsuits are happening. I didn't see people suing Cherry before nor did I see him being taken off the air due to his prejudice tirades against euros and other players/teams. It's only now that it becomes worthy of suing. I really wish the ex players would stop trying to get 15 minutes of more fame and just stop inciting stupid **** like this aiding the ******** agenda of the media and some fans to eliminate fighting. Suing Cherry is just to bring more publicity to the situation in general

He said what he said and he's an idiot, but he didn't exactly ruin these guys careers with his comments At the end of the day he's entitled to his opinion no matter how stupid he is or how much he misunderstands another persons opinion. There are comparable things said about our own players by the likes of the Antichambre, 110%, Radio, Le Match people all the time.
First of all, a lawsuit is by no means a given. All that's been said so far is that Grimson, Thomson and Nilan are considering further recourse. That could pretty much mean anything from a meeting with Cherry, to expecting an apology, to pursuing legal action, to doing nothing at all after releasing the statement. I can see how people jumped to the conclusion that a law suit would follow (seeing how a legal firm is involved), but that's not necessarily a given.

Secondly, as a member of broadcast media, it's Cherry's responsibility to know where his power ends. He's entitled to his opinions, but his freedom of opinion will never allow him to use his soapbox for baseless personal attacks. He decided to take the discussion away from specific hockey talk and used his time to attack the character of the guys he targeted. It doesn't matter whether it's a VJ on MTV, a weatherman or a talk-show host, you can't baselessly attack an individual's character on the air.

Cherry has definitely said inflammatory things in the past, but they were usually:
1) Specifically providing some kind of commentary on hockey.
2) Spoken in the general (like his attacks on European players).
3) Brushed off by the victim (his attacks on Subban are a good example of this).

Cherry's getting called out for saying something on-air that he had no right to say and quite frankly I think it's been a long time coming.