View Single Post
Old
10-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Karl Pilkington

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That is exactly the point of many. Fighting is only serving an entertainment aspect. It has close to no relevance to the actual game anymore.

The object of the game of hockey is to put a puck in the opponent's net the most, and so, win the game, not fight or entertain people.
I think fighting DID and can serve a purpose. With the instigator rule it became something else.. staged fights and all that were the result. The instigator rule did have a big effect on the "respect quotient", but of course that's not the only factor.. in general we have become more self centered and selfish, especially athletes who have to pump every ounce of energy they have into themselves..

It's not just about fighting. It's about respect. You can't mandate respect.. that only restrains the vicious element..

It's crazy we spend so much time discussing violence in sports.. violence in sports is the rule. Except maybe figure skating.. and that's not a derogatory statement towards figure skating, that's just the reality. HOCKEY IS VIOLENT. The speed now makes it even more violent. I guess maybe they can put a speed limit on skating.. that would limit injuries from hits to the head.. seriously.. these rules need to go. Players have to take responsibility for themselves.. enough media whining.. these reporters like to make themselves bigger than the events they are covering. All the whining and rule changing and Brendan Shannahaning in the world won't make players respect each other.

Don't ask me what will.. this is a wider societal issue. Sports reflect the "real" world on many levels. This issue with respect and common sense is one of those issues. Really, it comes down to each person taking responsibility for themselves and not blaming external factors for why they acted a certain way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan, and Jim Thomson may file legal actions against Cherry:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377851

Well served.

Hypocrite CBC said it's dissociating itself from its Clown's comments.
The legal system really promotes the common sense/lack of respect/blame someone else attitude I'm talking about. We don't take anything head on anymore. We circle around the issue and point the finger through a third party while compiling the opinions of those interested in what's happening to justify our stance.

Every once and a while we all need to let it go..

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-11-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: merged
Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote