View Single Post
Old
10-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Grant McCagg

vCash: 500
2011 - I was high on Scheifele and Jenner. Expected Scheifele might be gone....was he ever.... same thing with Beaulieu, who I also liked but expected would be gone in the top 14... Was also surprised that Jenner didn't go in the first round - i think Columbus got a steal.

2010 - I wanted Tinordi, Toffoli, Sheahan, Kuznetsov or Merrill. I was at Trevor's place a few days before the draft and he asked me who we should take - I told him Tinordi or Sheahan but I still had a soft spot for Toffoli having seen him about a dozen times and noticing his goal scoring talents. Trevor liked Toffoli too, but more than the rest of the staff except me. Funny thing is..we saw him more than anyone else on the staff given that we live close to Ottawa. Kuznetsov was my first choice actually, but I knew Trevor wouldn't consider him. He just figures there's too much risk with Russian prospects in the first round (unless you're a Yakupov), especially if they're still playing in Russia.

2009 - Leblanc or Despres - figured at least one would be at 18, and was really hoping it was Leblanc. In the third round I was hoping for Cody Eakin and Bennett.

2008 - Carlson was the guy..never expected him to be there at 26...was really disappointed when we traded our first for Tanguay. I also liked Deschamps with that pick if Carlson was gone. Trevor really liked Carlson - I have no doubt that he would have picked him had Bob kept the pick.

2007 - McDonagh, Eller or Shattenkirk - I would have been happy with any of the three. For the other first I liked Patch, MacLean and Billy Sweatt. For the second rounder I liked Tyrell and Subban. Overall I was very happy with this draft.

2006 - I wanted Giroux all the way - live 45 minutes from Hull..saw lots of Giroux and loved him.

2005 - Marc Staal was my guy - loved him, wanted him. Didn't mind the Price pick though.

2004 - Wasn't crazy about many of the players in this draft - I was fine with the Chipchura pick..also would have been okay with Bolland.

2003 - Getzlaf was the guy...really wanted him..thought he was exactly what the team needed...big, tough top-line center..haven't had one since Jean Beliveau. Also liked Parise, Brown and Richards. Thought it was risky taking a Euro with so many quality NA's available.

2002 - Another blah draft for me. Didn't mind Grebeshkov and Paille..hadn't seen Higgins.

2001 - I wanted Komo all the way..thought we need a big tough, shutdown defenceman. didn't quite pan out that way, although there were glimpses of it before Lucic. Really liked Derek Roy as our second first rounder over Peerzhogin.

2000 - We got Hainsey and Hossa...wanted Orpik and Volchenkov/Frolik.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote