View Single Post
Old
10-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
For someone who is usuallly really big on strength of opponents, I find it surprising how little Alberta had to do to get the number 1 position. Their results thus far:

2 wins against Calgary (who have 2 wins in 10 CIS games this year so far)
3 wins against ACAC Alberta college teams
2 wins against Regina (who are consistently in the bottom 3 of the CW)
1 loss against Saskatchewan (a week after Saskatchewan lost to Brock)

If UNB also beat Calgary giving up only 1 goal in 2 games combined, what pushed Alberta over the top? The loss to Saskatchewan, or the wins against the lowest level teams Alberta had to offer? Typically your rankings require wins against quality opponents, we see McGill lose 8-9 spots in your rankings every year because of this.
All valid points.

IMO Regina and Calgary are likely to slump in future weeks. If they do, then wins against them will diminish in value. But that remains conjecture.

I felt compelled to leave Calgary at A level because of their sheer volume of games (eight games against Acadia, SFX, UNB, Alberta, and Manitoba) against A level opponents where they did reasonably well in all but one game.

I felt compelled to leave Regina at B level because they were 1-1-2 against Manitoba and Sask in pre-season, and beat Brock. (And Brock has had a solid pre-season for a B level team with wins over Sask and SMU.) IMO they were flattered by their record in that they gave up tons of shots in the only games for which I could get stats.

So Alberta has four wins over those two teams and an OTL against Sask, another A level team. At this stage, that is marginally ahead of UNB's wins over Dal and UQTR.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote