View Single Post
Old
10-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Belso

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Halak 2 years older. Wait till Price is 25 then compare.
You can never comapare this type of state with players who start playing at a younger age. If a team decides to play a player when he's younger, he get's an advantage over other player who the team decdides to play them at an older age.

Price was given the opportunity to play many games as soon as he could. The Habs chose to play Halak in Hamilton longer.

Halak was Drafted in 2003, played one season in the Q to have a chance to learn to play in North America, Started in the ECHL and played the reminder of 3 seasons in Hamilton because he had to compete against Huet, Danis and then Price. Despite appearing in the All-star game 2 season in a row in Hamilton, he was always considered a 9th round "small" goalie by the Habs.

Carey Price was then drafted in 2005. He played one season in the WHL, already knew the NA style of play, only appeared in the AHL play-offs to go on to win the Calder cup and was then considered a number one goalie never to play another game in the minors with Halak looking from the pine until Price stuggled endlessly in 2009.

Now again, I'm not knocking Price. I really think he will have an amazing career and I hope he signs long term in Montreal. I just don't think it's fair to compare the two as what they have achieved at a young age. Halak had it harder and had more adjustments to make than Price. If Halak would have played Hockey in Canada as opposed to Slovakia and had been a few inches taller, who knows where he would have been drafted and how sooner he would have played in the NHL given the opportunity.

Will Price be a better goalie at the end of his career statswise over Halak? Maybe, but we will only see when their careers are over. Is it fair to say that Price is way better than Halak and "Thank god they kept Price"? I don't believe it fair to say it now based on who had more wins at the age of 24.

I don't even see how this can be hard to understand.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote