View Single Post
Old
10-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I paid attention and it's probably fair to say Token, Barry and others watched too because the 3rd pairing is one of the two big question marks on the team to start the season. They had more troubles than Franson/SOB had in most games last year and they did it in far fewer minutes. They had trouble clearing, they had trouble with positioning and they had trouble maintaining structure and supporting each other. Those things lead to scoring chances and over time scoring chances lead to goals. You may not agree but, to me, that qualifies as stink.
To be fair, we've seen two games of Hillen-Laakso this season and both have been on the road where protected minutes are harder to come by. I can point to all four games against the Oilers last season blowing by Franson and O'Brien and write them off as well...

There is another level to Laakso's game that we didn't see last weekend. Trotz mentioned that today and sent the message that he's gotta show what he did in the preseason to solidify his spot. Hillen did start to settle in as the weekend progressed, but had a poor weekend all-around IMO.

The pairing was actually pretty good when play was continuous and the matchups could be controlled a little more changing on the fly. Where they got killed was off of faceoffs when they were sent out, then Columbus countered with the Nash line and St. Louis with the Backes line. The pairing simply doesn't have the size to compete with those lines and started scrambling as soon as the faceoffs were lost.

Gotta prove they can handle weight better before they can truly be counted on...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote