View Single Post
Old
10-13-2011, 02:01 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I don't like how the east is split in that. People keep making a big deal about Detroit being "promised" to go east, but they either don't know or ignore the fact that Columbus was promised that first (when the expansion team was approved).

Link to that?? Living in Michigan at the time when the expansion was happening I can tell you their media outlets were always reporting that the league had unofficially promised to bring Detroit to the Eastern Conference to hold better viewership of games. No one GAF about Columbus, and no one does now. Why would they move them instead? To preserve the Chicago/Detroit rivalry of the Original Six? In fact, I would wager the only reason it was drawn up the way it was in the first place was that was still the time when Detroit/Colorado were basically going toe to toe every year. When you are the most successful franchise in all of North American Sports for the last 20 years, you kind of can do whatever the hell you want and they'll just take it on the chin. The only reason I can see them NOT moving Detroit is if they believe they would steamroll the Eastern Conference and take out the powerhouse out of the West (which in both cases IMO would be false anyways).

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote