View Single Post
Old
10-13-2011, 09:29 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 500
I'll break this down, but note that I never said you were wrong...I've just heard this before and no one has ever been able to bring it to light outside of some rumor most likely started by CBJ and/or fans from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
1) No one actually cares about something someone theoretically claims someone in the league office once said in passing to Detroit 10 years ago. The same goes for Columbus.
Exactly, this is all hearsay from people inside the league from various organizations that probably should never have been leaked in the first place. But it does pave the way as to who is telling what.

Quote:
2) The league does not (and has not ever) have control over alignment decisions. If it did, there would already be a 4 division system decided upon and finalized for next year.
Has the league expressed 100% this is what they would want to do?? I only say that because once again, so many things on this board get construed as being "factual" when there is no reliable basis to make that claim

Quote:
3) The alignment is defined by Bylaws 6 and 27 of the league constitution. Any change to the alignment requires a 2/3 vote (20 votes to pass) of the Board of Govenors.
I know that but it leads to the next question...

Quote:
4) The BoG is comprised of a single representative from each team in the league. The representative are agents for the owners of each club.
And who do you think one of the most known Owners is in the league outside of Super Mario and very few others?

Quote:
5) Columbus is east of Detroit.
I'm Michigan fan, trust me I know where Columbus is bro I've been there twice in Maize 'n Blue. That was an experience all in itself.

Quote:
6) Columbus has attendance and fan base issues.
Columbus is a college town much like Gainesville is. They are the only professional team there. Tickets aren't exactly cheap for the average college kid to attend. Not to mention football reigns supreme in the state of Ohio, not hockey. Not saying that is the overlaying issue as their performance has been just as terrible as Atlanta's but they are winning the war because they have Detroit (which is technically preserving a Michigan v. Ohio rivalry) and Chicago which is 6 hours away with Pitt being the closest at 3 hours away. Then again...we have always talked about how distance is a moot point when you have teams like Vancouver and us traveling over 3 timezones within our own division.

Quote:
7) No one really cares about Detroit outside of their ability to increase gate at away games.
Detroit is one of the easiest teams to travel well. Watch a Dallas or Phoenix game in those arena's. It will be dominated by Red/White. Hence why Phoenix doing "White Outs" were completely stupid considering Detroit was the Away team...

Quote:
8) Detroit's desire to be in the Eastern Conference is solely related to 10PM start times for west coast games and 9PM start times for MST games.
And that is the same reason Columbus wants it too. It is hard on the body to be a EST team going from Pacific to Eastern (Away/Home) games. Granted it isn't the jetlag you would feel going over the pond, but for these guys working and training practically every single day...you are going to wear on them.

Quote:
Now, taking those factors into account, the league doesn't care about something the overly entitled Mike Illitch thinks he "deserves." Detroit will be perfectly happy in a division with only CST teams if interdivision play is changed to a single home and home with the league. In fact, in a town with such large sports competition, it's probably foolish to change to earlier start times for pretty much every game of the season.
If you made the division up of Minnesota/St. Louis/Chicago/Detroit/Toronto you would probably be very right. And a very FAR stretch if you put Dallas/Winnipeg in there.

Quote:
Columbus needs help. The real help that they need is spelled P-I-T-T-S-B-U-R-G-H. It is in every team's best interest for the rest of the league to do well. Moving Columbus into the east helps that club tremendously, and helps stave off another threat for relocation. Every problem Detroit has is something Columbus has too. Moving Detroit solves almost nothing, and makes Chicago and St. Louis hopping mad.
The only reason I hate this answer (not saying you're not right) is you give Pittsburgh all the power in the world for "saving a franchise" and that is just...unacceptable. If a team fails, they fail then. Blame ownership and management for misplays. This team should be able to compete with the draft picks they've had in the past. The fact that basically Nash is the only player to truly pan out is more pathetic than ours.

It makes more than just those two teams mad though. Frankly, take them into the West where we only play them once and I'll be livid as hell.

Quote:
There's simply no compelling reason to move Detroit east. "I swear someone promised!" is not a compelling reason, especially when Columbus says the same thing.
And neither can back up the claim outside of beat writers and the like who may all just be trying to sell stories. Frankly, I think Detroit wants it just for the challenge to be honest. Outside of a few loopy years, they've been the #1 seed in this Conference how many times? Not saying they won the Cup X Years because of it (we all know how hard the West is defensively) but they may just want to take on the East and see how it goes. The east is more wide open style of play and has pushed a significant amount of players into the "elite" status because of goal scoring. Is that the right answer? Probably not even close. But it is a personal observation nonetheless.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote