View Single Post
Old
10-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Problem is if you put a 4th line plug with a guy like Plekanec who makes those around him better, they're bound to get a 1-2pt game now and then Doesn't mean Moen is suited for a top 6 role.

I'm actually one of the few around here who has supported Moen from day one, continues to and aside from two preseasons where Moen looked like he just didn't care, the guy has been fine in the regular and post season playing above his level and doing anything the coaches ask of him, and yet around here you'd expect that he's totally useless. He isn't totally useless but he shouldn't be on the 1st line he should be on the 3rd or 4th.

Putting him in the top lines here or there just to shake things up during a bad game I can understand if it gets other lines going or the line he's put on, but to actually start games with him penciled into the 1st line...

I understand Cammy is injured but did we not keep Kostitsyn and then acquire Cole to have depth in the top 6?
I think it's pretty clear Martin's trying to keep offense on his third line, with the injuries that means at the expense of concentrating it on the top two. Obvisouly Moen's a terrible choice to play top six minutes long term, but in the meantime I totally understanding not wanting to put him with Desharnais. Hopefully Eller or Palushaj play well enough that JM gets enough confidence to rely on them a bit, allowing Moen to drop to his more proper role. If he feels confident playing either of those guys regular minutes on the third line, then he can move someone like AK up to the Pleks line instantly. For the moment though, Moen played a fantastic game and is getting rewarded in practice and to start the next game. The odds of JM NOT shuffling his lines are about zero, so I really think it's early to get too upset about it.

I remember Pat Burns' obsession with playing Brian Skrudland in the final minutes of games we were losing by a goal. Even the best coaches lean too heavily on their defensive vets sometimes. When he's going into his fourth straight game in that role, I'll join the yelling. In the meantime having Moen fill in on a top line is nothing new, while having DD, AK and Eller all available to play on the third line is a reason to be hopeful that line can pick up some of the slack we know Moen's not going to.