Thread: Good Workouts
View Single Post
Old
10-13-2011, 08:43 AM
AngryBoss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Alright so I'm 6'1 and 160 pounds, and terribly out of shape. I've never been on any sort of workout plan and all I eat is junk. I play hockey 3-4 times a week with my team and shinny.

I'm fast, however I get tired out pretty quickly. I can make some pretty good passes, and I'm the quarterback of our PP. However in the 2nd and 3rd periods I find myself lightheaded and my vision starts to go on me. I'm guessing this is due to just being out of shape some way or another.

I downloaded p90x yet but haven't started (am planning to on Monday). I'm looking for a workout that's focused around what a hockey player needs, however I'm guessing pretty much anything will do for me given my muscle and being so out of shape.

Also for nutrition, I constantly eat Mcdonalds and drink pop so I'm guessing this is going to be a huge change for me. p90x also gives you a nutrition guide but I'm wondering if there's anything special you need to be doing as a hockey player.
First, how old are you?

If you're 160, I'm hesitant to tell you to stop eating all junk food.
It's good to consume some quantity of fat. Eating McD's 3x a week isn't good, but I've heard some nutrionists say that eating it once a week can actually be beneficial.
Try to eat a balanced meal, but don't worry about counting carbs. If you're on the ice 3-4 times a week, then carbs are your friend as you'll need energy for that much activity.
Protein, helps build muscle but also levels out carbs so that it regulates energy throughout the day.

As far as working out, you want to get stronger.
I'm a big proponent of doing full body workouts and using mostly compound movements.
Try working out 3x a week, and then sprinkle in some cardio on off-days.
If you can only workout 2x a week, that's fine too.

I've always followed the KISS approach. Throw away those dumb muscle magazines that tell you to focus on one body part per day, and do endless reps and exercises for them.
If you're not going to be a pro body-builder, and take massive amounts of supplements and steroids, then working out as a pro BB doesn't make sense.

Squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, bench press, dips, curls, skull crushers, calves, etc.
That's the meat and potatoes right there.
Almost all of those movements involve more than just one muscle group.
Squats work your entire lower half and it's such an intense movement that it increases and promotes muscle growth all over the body.
Deadlifts are probably the most perfect movement you can have.
Ask yourself how many times in a year you'll bend down to pick something up. Then ask yourself how many times have to curl something over a declined surface?
It just makes sense.

Deadlifts help build the core, and legs. Squats do the same.
You're legs will get stronger and won't tire as easy as the game progresses.

For cardio, dabble with Tabata principles.
It works best with a stationary bike and sprinting.
If you have a stationary bike, sprint hard for 20 seconds, then take 10 seconds off. Do that for 8 sets.
You can even do 30 seconds, then 90 seconds off and do that for 4-8 sets.
That mimics a hockey shift.
HIIT training also promotes weight-loss up to 48 hours after you've worked out.
Doing HIIT or Tabata with sprinting is amazing too - but extremely taxing.
Find a 400 meter track and sprint it. Then walk it, then sprint it. Do that for 4 sets.
Trust me, you'll be gassed.

But all of that will help give you the endurance and strength you need.

Finally, make sure you get your needed rest too. Muscles only grow when you're sleeping or resting.
Tear them down and then give them the time to heal afterward.

I always try to take a break every 8 weeks. I don't do anything in that week except go for a mild jog here or there.
But your body needs proper recover time.

I hope that helps. And remember, keep it simple. No need for complex workouts with crazy machines and all that.
Just do what your body would have normally done if it was 200 years ago and working on the farm. Lots of pushing and pulling. You'll get stronger and in better shape. Trust me.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote