Thread: Good Workouts
View Single Post
Old
10-13-2011, 10:01 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Alright so I'm 6'1 and 160 pounds, and terribly out of shape. I've never been on any sort of workout plan and all I eat is junk. I play hockey 3-4 times a week with my team and shinny.
If you weigh 160 at that height you are terribly underweight my friend. While BMI is pretty much a giant farce, you would be under your limit by 20lbs at least. That proves two things to me in this case though. You are either 1) lacking muscle or 2) just skinny as hell. With that, here are the first few things I would tell you:

1) Stay away from typical gym supplements, especially pre-work stuff. You don't need them yet. and you are only going to waste your $$$ on things your body is going to produce anyways. However, with that being said get a Fish Oil, Multi-Vitamin, and Whey Protein. Your goal right now is to digest the same amount of protein as your body weight 1g=1lb. That should help get your weight up with good protein for muscle building.

2) P90X is a great thing if you do it properly. The issue with most guys is they tend to go heavy with weight...P90X is more of a cutting and endurance tool in my book. If you want to put on some mass (which I personally thing you should be doing..but I'm not a doctor either) you need to be weight lifting as well.

3) If you do weight lift, stick to the basics. Compound exercises like Deadlifts, Benchpress, Squats, Shoulder Press. Don't get fancy with some of the exercises you'll see people doing. While you can do isolation exercises, at this point its pretty moot. Build your foundation and get your muscles used to lifting. Remember its not about the amount of weight but your form. I would rather do 135 with 10 perfect reps than 160 with an arched back.

Also, lift after you first get up for the day, regardless of when that is. It will give your muscles the entire day to recover and you will also have the most energy. Don't believe me? Work out in the morning one week and then the next work out after you are done with your job/school. Tell me which one you feel more Alert during.

Quote:
Also for nutrition, I constantly eat Mcdonalds and drink pop so I'm guessing this is going to be a huge change for me. p90x also gives you a nutrition guide but I'm wondering if there's anything special you need to be doing as a hockey player.
While this isn't nearly as terrible as people will let you on to believe, it depends on what you are eating there. 1) ditch the pop (least I know what part of the country you're from!) all together. Once you ditch it, you'll wonder why you didn't do that in the first place. Next...get your arse in the grocery store and buy chicken breast, fruits and veggies. Oatmeal in the morning (fiber and carbs) to help get you started.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote