View Single Post
Old
10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I think it's pretty clear Martin's trying to keep offense on his third line, with the injuries that means at the expense of concentrating it on the top two. Obvisouly Moen's a terrible choice to play top six minutes long term, but in the meantime I totally understanding not wanting to put him with Desharnais. Hopefully Eller or Palushaj play well enough that JM gets enough confidence to rely on them a bit, allowing Moen to drop to his more proper role. If he feels confident playing either of those guys regular minutes on the third line, then he can move someone like AK up to the Pleks line instantly. For the moment though, Moen played a fantastic game and is getting rewarded in practice and to start the next game. The odds of JM NOT shuffling his lines are about zero, so I really think it's early to get too upset about it.

I remember Pat Burns' obsession with playing Brian Skrudland in the final minutes of games we were losing by a goal. Even the best coaches lean too heavily on their defensive vets sometimes. When he's going into his fourth straight game in that role, I'll join the yelling. In the meantime having Moen fill in on a top line is nothing new, while having DD, AK and Eller all available to play on the third line is a reason to be hopeful that line can pick up some of the slack we know Moen's not going to.
If I remember, Skrudland scored the fastest OT goal from start of period in Habs history. 9 seconds, Calgary, 86, SCF. McPhee with assist. After that I'd have had him out the last minute lots of times too.