View Single Post
Old
10-13-2011, 01:30 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel
Don't do it. Seriously. If I could go back 15 years and stop younger me from doing it, I would do 11 times out of 10. It's a terrible future-less career that you'll have to abandon at some point in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Well best of luck to you. The salaries are low and getting lower and newspapers aren't really on the most stable footing. The job I had out of college was like $24k a year and no benefits. It was really a great job, and I did love it, but there is not much room for salary increases. Like I said, if you have savings or a low cost of living, then rock and roll (I would have loved to). But if you plan on moving out of your parents house, you'll need a second job. Not trying to be a dick, and I very well could be wrong, but that was my experience and I wish I knew that going into it.
Pure journalism is on the downswing, but a BJ degree that acronym was the source of a lot of hilarity 20 years ago when I was in university does have some versatility if you look outside of the traditional journalism outlets. Most big companies need communications personnel, and my degree got me into a medical publishing company and have been in this industry for the past 2 decades.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote