Thread: JM got balls
View Single Post
Old
10-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
I agree, he has a little success as head coach. But no, i wouldn't want Trotz nor Ruff as my head coach. My type of coach is someone we let go last year.
I would like to see Boucher coach the Habs someday, but I understood the club's decision to stay with JM. Leave aside JM's merits for a moment. In the broader context, the Habs have a proven track record of breaking in rookie coaches that have gone on to better careers (and developed into better coaches with experience) elsewhere. Julien, Vignault, Therrien come quickly to mind. As great as I think Boucher is, the odds of him spending his whole career in one city, especially a franchise that has turned over ownership like leased cars, is fairly remote. Secondly I think the Habs treated Boucher well and didn't stand in his way when a golden opportunity came along.

To be honest, there's no question, I would've been happier to have him behind the bench than JM. When Boucher's time in Tampa is done, I will be praying we pick him up.

On the JM issue, I find his hockey teams frustrating to watch but I think he's actually a good coach and has improved since his time in Ottawa. Along with boring hockey and a total lack of organizational grit, I feel JM has brought stability and relative success to the org, and the roster is very much tailored to his system. Also, to be fair Martin's failure in Ottawa is at least partly attributable to goaltending, which the GMs in Ottawa have consistently failed to provide. And for all those who criticize his handling of young players, a rosterfull of great NHL players came up under him in Ottawa. Subban and Price certainly seem to be coming along well. So when his time is up, I don't feel he'll have damaged the org long term. Course if they move him upstairs....

Bullsmith is online now   Reply With Quote