View Single Post
Old
10-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I'm not sure how physical the SEL is, I know it's gotten more physical in recent years but probably not close to the NHL. Kabanov will find it difficult to adjust to that league IMO. But I'd guess by the 5th or 6th game he'll start to find his game and be more noticeable.
The SEL is certainly no AHL when it comes to the physical game.

As I posted in another thread, my take is that the Euroleagues are becoming wimpier because you get a penalty every time you touch a guy. On top of it all, the suspension craze has caught on here too. What used to be a 2 or 5 minute penalty is quickly becoming a 4-6 game suspension. Three biggies between the DEL and SEL were issued just this week.

Personally, I'm disgusted. When I see a game here, I see a bunch of guys trying to play poke-check shinny. Any time an oppponent is halway hunched, no-one is touchin' him with a ten foot pole.

Anyhow, what concerns me more is that the SEL is an extremely low-scoring league (save for the 8-7 spectable 10 days ago). Just take Frolunda - they've allowed only 13 GA in 12(!) games. Are you kidding me!?! (I know the Danish goalie Andersen, by the way) I mean, that's just incredible. In general though, you look at a night of SEL scores and it often looks like you're checking out the soccer standings.

Thus, this could help Kabanov be a more defensively capable player. It could also stunt his offensive growth somewhat, especially if he's not out there with other offensively-oriented players (which his new team has few of at the moment).

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote