View Single Post
Old
10-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Not too sure what you're exactly talking about... so you're basing Janne's entire career as an Oiler on perhaps 2 or 3 events. Come now... a bit overgeneralizing much?

He was extremely solid for this Oiler club in the last 3 years... His only major fault was losing the puck over the blueline on the powerplay. Janne was solid at either end of the ice, a leader on the ice and carried the defense on his back.

If he was still on our payroll, we'd be saying how lucky we are to have a #1 dman on our team for 2.9 million. The fact of the matter is that Janne could play 26-28 minutes a night consistently and could go over 30 if the situation required. We have NO ONE that can do that currently and it's not even close.

Yes, he was a good "assister" as you like to call it. And I'd say that his breakout passes and "assists" would invaluable to us at the moment... as that is a glaring problem with the team right now. And that isn't even including his other strengths.
I dunno man - I'm still not convinced. I seem to remember swearing at my tv in the general direction of Niinimaa more than most other players. I agree with his ice time and being a leader, but I was never sold on his defensieve ability.

Mabye youre right and he would settle our defensive squad, but I'm still not sold on him. When he got traded, I remember saying at least we dropped Carter and Niinimaa instead of Smyth and Brewer. I'd take Brewer over Niinimaa any day (except for the last 2 weeks. I'm hoping his head comes out of his butt soon.)