View Single Post
Old
10-27-2003, 04:44 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
I dunno man - I'm still not convinced. I seem to remember swearing at my tv in the general direction of Niinimaa more than most other players. I agree with his ice time and being a leader, but I was never sold on his defensieve ability.

Mabye youre right and he would settle our defensive squad, but I'm still not sold on him. When he got traded, I remember saying at least we dropped Carter and Niinimaa instead of Smyth and Brewer. I'd take Brewer over Niinimaa any day (except for the last 2 weeks. I'm hoping his head comes out of his butt soon.)
It's just your opinion. If we disagree, it's fine. But I thought he was the absolute backbone for this defensive corp during his tenure and he contributed everywhere he could.

If I had to choose between Brewer and Niinimaa at 2.5 million and 2.9 million respectively, I choose Niinimaa no question. Niinimaa is only 27 and has already been a #1 dman on this team and shown he is capable of putting up #1 minutes and a 40 pt season. Brewer has been inconsistent at best during his time here. He tickled us with his performance after the Olympics and we haven't seen that side of him since.

Brewer is still learning... and isn't really ready for that #1 role at all yet it seems. It still amazes me how he let Richard Park outmuscle him from behind the net to give up the gamewinner.