Thread: Confirmed with Link: The Realignment Thread: Stars to "Division B"
View Single Post
Old
10-15-2011, 12:46 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
i'd also guess that most of us became fans after the move.

imo, the rivalries argument is overstated. divisional rivalries are more relevant in the east (could even exclude the southeast). in the west, off the top of my head, i'd call chi-det, cgy-edm, & la-ana worth any significance. the nhl tried this argument when they made teams play divisional foes 8 times each! when living in l.a., i could only stand watching phoenix play at staples center only so much.

years ago, wasn't toronto in the western conference?

all this said, i agree with the poster who suggested 4 divisions versus the current 6. it becomes easier to arrange teams. it also curbs the problem of the leader of a sorry division getting a higher seed than a team with more points. the main negative is that the math won't work out perfectly (7 & 8 team divisions), but i don't see that as much of an issue.

maybe they can get rid of divisions altogether?
I totally agree with the bold part. Four divs, and the divisional playoff format. The 8 in two divs and 7 in the other two isn't an issue. Things will never be perfect anyways.

As far as the rivalries go, that's just the thing. There really aren't any nowadays. Sure you have you Pitt-Philly as maybe the best going or maybe Pitt-Wash, the original 6 will always have something going too, but after that it gets pretty weak and any other rivalries are by chance and short lived.

The real rivalries, the peak of the rivalry, was/were back when it was the divisional playoff format in the 80s and early 90s. That's why as a fan prior to the current format, I'm in favor of the divisional rounds and trying to re-unite the old rivalries as much as possible. As far as the Stars go, we played ( just off the top of my head ) the Blackhawks and the Blues 5 or 6 times each in the playoffs between 1982 and 1991. Talk about hate brewing. Those were real rivalries. You didn't have to wait until game 3 or 4 for a possible story line, they were hated rivals already chomping at the bit ready to go at it before the drop of the puck. Not to mention, The Battle Of Alberta hasn't happened since 1991, which is a shame. They league failed miserably when they pinned div foes against each other 8 times per in the reg season. That's not how to build rivalries at all. It's the playoffs.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote