Thread: Confirmed with Link: The Realignment Thread: Stars to "Division B"
View Single Post
Old
10-15-2011, 01:55 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
While I totally agree with the fact that rivalries are created in the playoffs, not in the regular season. I think the playoff format should remain the same while going back to four divisions. That being the division winners and the six next best teams in the conference make the playoffs. The idea of only the top four in each division just doesn't sound good to me, and I believe that this is how it worked in the year before the NHL switched to the six division format.
No they've never done it that way. It was the top 4 in each div right from I believe 1981 on through 1993, then for the 93-94 season they went to the top 8 in each conference. Off the top of my head it was 1980 that they tried the 1 though 16 format and prior to that it was divisional rounds as well. Going back to the first expansion in 67 they divided the league between the East div and the West div. One of expansion teams and the other the original 6.

Having the divisional rivals battle it out on the way to the conference finals and then Cup final has proven to be the best as far as rivalries go, by far. The NHL has just failed to replicate that in any way and there is no way to replicate it unless they go right back to the way it was. I'm not sure where their priorities lie though knowing Bettman and knowing what Ive heard, it's mostly time zones and travel etc that theyre concerned about. They can easily do both if theyre willing to budge a little. It's never going to be perfect but the old way is about as perfect as it can be while slotting the expanison/relocated teams accordingly and as best as possible.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote